Thursday, June 7, 2007

Q&A with Susie: Teen worries about Dad's drinking

Hi Susie,
My dad has a drinking problem and he pushes me around. What can I do?
-Worried Teen
______________________________________________________________________________

Hi Worried Teen -
Check out www.al-anon.alateen.org
Then read everything you can about Alateen, order the pamphlets (they're free), if you can afford any of the books, I encourage you to read the little red book or the Courage to Be Me book. These will help you understand what to do about your dad's drinking and related behavior problems.

Immediately I suggest you do your best to remove yourself from wherever he is when he's been drinking. Don't hang around to be pushed around. Don't argue with him when he's been drinking; you're only arguing with alcohol, and putting yourself in a position to be hurt. Better to be happy than to be right! Alcohol makes people angry, unreasonable, critical, argumentative, and even violent.

Lastly, if he ever hits you or you are scared for your safety, pick up the phone and call 911. Get the police there to protect you and also he will get the message that his drinking and abuse is a problem. You are not being bad or disloyal. Your safety comes first. If you have to, leave and go to a friend's house over night. Where is your mom in all this?

What I am sharing with you is what I, too, learned what to do at Al-Anon/Alateen. It is the smartest steps I know.

Thanks for caring enough about yourself to reach out for help!
Susie

No comments: